rod bearing change

Asked by Feb 19, 2011 at 12:24 AM about the 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse

i need to change rod bearings in a 99 eclipse rs. how do i do it

3,695

First drain all fluids from the engine and disconnect the engine wiring harness, all hoses, and the exhaust system. It is generally easiest to remove belt-driven accessories and the intake at this point. Then, pull the engine out and put it on an engine stand, then remove the distributor, etc..., and remove timing cover and timing components except camshaft. At this point, you will need to flip the engine over and take off the oil pan. Then, remove the rod bearing caps and main bearing caps in that order. Pull out the crankshaft, replace the bearings, then put it all back together using engine assembly grease. If I was doing this, I would also take the time to take off the cylinder heads, re-machine the deck if necessary, hone the cylinder bores, replace all gaskets and seals, replace the camshaft and main bearings, and measure the cylinder bores to determine out-of-round and taper, re-bore if necessary, and check piston rings and piston condition.