Car turns over but won't start

Asked by Oct 24, 2016 at 03:10 PM about the 2000 Mitsubishi Galant

I have a 2000 Mitsubishi Galant. Not sure if it is a DE, ES but I do know it is a 4cyl 2.4 L. I bought this car in August and it was sitting in somebody's driveway for 6 years, not being driven. I went to my uncles house on Monday, Oct 17th and he looked at my car for me. He told me my serpentine belt for the alternator was fraying and that I needed to get a new one. On my way home Friday, my power steering locked up and my brakes weren't working so I put it in park. My friend was with me and her dad came and noticed that the serpentine belt was missing. My car would turn over but it wouldn't start, so he towed it back to my house. My boyfriend changed the alternator belt and the other belt (not the timing belt. The one that runs the water pump I believe, unless that is the alternator belt, but he did change both of them) So after he got it all changed we tried to start my car again and it still turned over but wouldn't start. I called my uncle to see what was going on and he said if I've been driving without the belt for a while then it will cause my battery to die because it's not getting any power so I tried to jump my car but it didn't help. He also told me that the timing belt could have jumped time, or the tension was messed up. I've been looking online about what could be the problem. I have no yet checked the timing belt issue, but other people have said it could be a bent valve, or the fuel pump, or that I need to check all the wires. My question is, what should I do? And what seems to be the problem? And it is pretty simple to get the timing belt back in "time"?

Could it also be the starter relay or the fuel relay? Which just seems the most probable?

300

First check the ECM fuse .since alternator belt came off it could have spiked and blew the fuse .second how does it sound when attempting to start ? Does it sound abnormally fast when spinning ? .have someone pull no.1 spark plug and see if you ha e compression .if not ..timing belt ,tensioner ,pullies amd water pump will need replacing .

t doesn't seem fast when trying to start. It seems like it wants to start but just won't. I had another guy come look it at today and he also tried to jump it so its definitely not the battery. He believes its the timing belt or the cam. Will have the spark plug checked tomorrow.

300

Unless the serpentine belt got hung up when it broke I'd be surprised if the timing belt broke . I am a retired Mitsubishi SM and have o KY seen that happen a handful of times and those had never had a timing belt replaced amd all had over 150k miles on them . If it has broken the timing belt unfortunately it's not good news for your wallet. Keep us posted amd hopefully it's something easier amd cheaper to repair .

The belt itself is not broken, I was told it could have jumped time.

The ECM fuse is fine. Still no luck starting

Fuel pump relay

We're is the ECM fuse

We're is fuel pump relay I don't think that's it I changed the crank sensor and it still don't get fire to the plugs some body help me please