2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse idling problems

20

Asked by May 08, 2010 at 12:43 PM about the 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse

I've noticed this problem for a long time, but now it's starting to concern me. My eclipse has always driven completely fine, but when I come to a stop, the steering wheel shakes somewhat and seems to idle loudly. I've had a complete tune up, timing belt changed, ect. Is there any way to fix this?

105

when does the steering wheel shake, does it do it at idle? I'm thinking you may have a power steering pump problem. I could be wrong, but I'd take it to the shop or a mechanic friend if I were you.

20

It only shakes at idle when I'm in drive, not in park. I notice it the most after I get off the highway. Thanks for your help!

3,225

Inspect your motor and transmission mounts for tears or separation of the rubber.

105

Sounds like your power steering system is having an issue. Does it make a winding noise after start up? Do you see any leaks under the car of what looks like an oil stain?

20

I have a 1998 Mitsubishi Ecplise that runs and idles fine, except when its in Drive and stopped. It shakes a LOT when I idle in drive. I would be grateful for any help or suggestions. Also, a little bit of white smoke comes out of the exhaust when I drive, not much.

30

I had the same thing happen to me in my 2001. I had to replace 2 motor mounts. The rubber inside the mounts were dry rotted. it has stopped the vibration hopefully will stop the dash from cracking too.

25

if it happens when you accelerate it may be a bad spark plug

30

your idle air valve is dirty or going bad ask about idle air valve its a common thing with that eng

80

i have a 2000 mitsubishi eclipse gs 4cyl 5 speed and when i first crank it i have to keep my foot on the gas or otherwise it wont idle on it own...just spent over $320 getting the throttle body replaced...any suggestions?

30

Call the Mitsubishi Dealer on Mitsubishicars.com it is a recall and they will fix it free of charge.

Ok I just read every post on here and other sites trying to figure out this problem after about 15 hours and a lot of testing I discovered that I had a misfire on cylinder six which didn't turn out to be a bad injector in my area these cost about $195 so I went to my favorite local salvage yard and purchase the part for $38 little bit of a savings there I hope this gives anyone who is having the same problem the answer they're looking for because my car now runs like it's brand-new again good luck hope that helps

Sorry I meant it did turn out to be a bad injector