'03 2.4 Eclipse issue(s)

Asked by Sep 26, 2015 at 10:51 PM about the 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse

Have owned this car for 9 years. No issues before this. Drove to work one day and car was running fine. Came out after work (8 hours later) and it was sputtering and hesitating on acceleration. Now, car wont start after sitting for 6-8 hours. Found (coincidence?) that when I unplug the MAF, it starts and idles but wont rev. Turn engine off and plug back in MAF. Restart engine. Idle is very rough and bucks and jerks when shifting into gear (automatic trans). After several seconds (30 - 60), rough idle stops and can drive without bucking or jerking but hesitates on acceleration. If I lightly press on the gas pedal, the car will accelerate but slowly. While sitting at stop light, can feel engine bog down and hesitation / sputtering starts again. Put trans in neutral and rev engine and it comes out of the sputtering but still hesitates on acceleration. Has thrown many codes during this time. 1st code was for 02 sensor so I replaced it but there was no change in hesitation.  Since then, it has thrown the following codes: Bank 1 too lean, Bank 1 no activity, Intake Air Temp Sensor High Input, MAF A Circuit Low Input), STFT increases each time I drive it (up to +28 now). LTFT is 12.5. Engine Load % is up to 70%. Since then, replaced MAF, both coil packs, plugs, & wires. Sprayed carb cleaner on all vacuum lines and around injectors, no change in running condition. Replaced thermostat. No change in running condition. Fuel pump is 2 yrs old. With vehicle running, unplugged each fuel injector, one at a time, and it ran worse. Unplugged MAP when vehicle running, made no difference in how it ran. Unplugged vacuum lines, one at a time, and it ran worse. Code reader shows RPMs during cranking when engine wont fire and when it does fire, so it does not appear to be crank sensor. It starts when warm so it does not appear to be cam sensor (I had cam sensor issues a year ago and it would only start when engine was cold / would not start when engine was warm). Both coolant temp and IAT?? sensors appear to be working correctly. Any ideas what might be causing the issue? MAP sensor? EGR valve? Coolant Temp Sensor? Internal Air Control valve? ????

635

if my memory is right your motor has a tin intake . look very hard at where the throttle body bolts up just behind the flang they crack , brake off i have also seen alot of proplems with the throttle body coming apart. IT SOUNDS LIKE A MAJOR VACUUM LEAK. your ltft is maxed and the stft is tring to compensate. these motors vibrate bad and cause many problems. sounds like you have a scanner. spray carb cleaner around throttle body and watch your trims a major change might lead you in the right direction

Hwy I have 2003 as well. Had same issue. I had replace the middle screw and gasket. It was so worn. Today I picked up emission valve because after whole idle no start jerk event for so.e time the check engine light preventing me from inspecting and tagging so have replace that and many more things. Good car though. Anyway be sure check the idle set screw and it's gasket and reset idle speed with particular turn of new one..it sets behind the engine at the top ..just wanted help out if I could. Good luck

But I see this us old post. Shoot. Sorry