Help! Mini Cooper won't start

10

Asked by Apr 28, 2016 at 02:50 PM about the 2004 MINI Cooper

Here's the background. For a month or so, I would be driving and the power steering would occasionally freeze up and become hard as a rock to turn. The other day, the car started overheating, so I towed it home. The battery light was on. The battery is only 2 months old. I checked and there was no belt. Took it to Firestone, they put a new belt on, it started right up and drove it home. Next day I try to start it, zero power in the car. I try to jump, I get power but it won't start. Just clicks. Tried waiting a few minutes to let it charge. What could this be? Is it possible the battery is bad now after 2 months??

1,075

You obviously have a short circuit somewhere. This is a wire that may have become unraveled or it rubbed against some metal. Your car may have a fan that cools the car when stopped, it could also be the culprit. If you have time to work on your car, look at the schematics of the electrical system, you should be able to find it with a little help.

10

Ok how do I find what is shorting out? I know a little bit about cars but I'm no expert and I don't know much about the electrical system at all.

10

***Update.... got a new battery and its working. but i realized why the battery got drained..... when the car is shut off there is something constantly running still and i cannot figure out what it is... sounds like its something below the motor... Its a whining noise... its not the belt... cant fiure out what it is and how to fix it.

its the power steering motor will burn out some have caught fire