I have a 1993 Mercury Cougar. I really like it but now I have a problem. Sometimes it starts anad somsetimes not. When it doesn't I turn the key and it clicks one time and won't start. It is not the b

20

Asked by Sep 27, 2015 at 12:01 AM about the 1993 Mercury Cougar

I don't want to change a bunch of things on the car like solenoid, starter  etc. till I find out why it is doing this. The battery is fine.  Someone said there are little cogs and when it doesn't start is  has missed a cog. It can sit for awhile and it will start right up again. Help!!!

101,555

Ignition switch should be considered, and looked at..

69,695

Sounding like the starter to me, you can take it out and go to an alternator & starter shop and have it tested.

46,365

Check the starter bendix teeth and the ring gear teeth on the flex plate. It is possible the ring gear on the flex plate is missing some teeth.