What could cause my emergency brake from not holding when I pull handbrake.

Asked by Sep 13, 2016 at 07:54 PM about the 1995 Mercury Tracer

Put new brakes on front and rear,replaced cylinders on back brakes and I even
replaced the front cable to the handbrake and spring.

92,685

There hasn't been an emergency brake sense they done away with the lever and rod system. then they called them parking brakes, they are not designed to stop a fast moving vehicle. However they should be able to hold you car on a fairly steep incline facing forward, never trust a parking brake for backwards movement. I am going to assume that you set the rear shoes to just drag slightly when you spin the wheel. After initial break-in of the rear brakes you may have to reset the park brake up the same way, just a slight drag when you tighten the park brake adjuster on the brake cables. And that should do it.