I have a 1995 Mercury Cougar with 83,000. miles on it and they can't get the check engine light to stay out?

Asked by Aug 13, 2015 at 05:07 AM about the 1995 Mercury Cougar

The check engine light won't stay out.  The ERG solenoid has been change, they
put in a new EGR hose set, nothing is plugged up, they clean out everything and
it still comes on.  They said it could be in the wiring because I did have to replace all
my hoses from a rat eating it.  Where is the wiring for the check engine light?

286,435

I think they mean the wiring to the sensor that is tripping the CEL, not the wiring to the OBDii scanner port. What is the code/codes? You might want to find another garage that can find your issue.

Best Answer Mark helpful

Thank you, I got the check engine light fixed & took it to get smoked & it failed the test. They said the emissions were all perfect but now California law requires some kind of snap smoke test. I guess they snap the throttle & if a tiny bit of smoke comes out, it fails the smog. Is something plugged up now or do you have any idea what would cause that if the emissions are perfect ? What would cause the smoke. It doesn't smoke any other time just when they do that test. The guys that fixed my emissions said they didn't see any smoke. I don't want to have to pay $125.00 for a diagnostic test if it could be just a plugged hose. Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.