98 Mystique (Contour) 2.0L Automatic O/D Light stays ON

5

Asked by Aug 01, 2011 at 02:43 PM about the 1998 Mercury Mystique

The O/D disable switch on the shift lever, and the transaxle are working beautifully.  The "O/D OFF" indicator Lamp on the dash stays illuminated all the time, even though you can feel the transaxle shifting in/out of overdrive when you push the button on the shift lever.  Any ideas about what could be causing this?

if everything is working fine and the od cuts on-off by the switch,dont worrie about it,the light is a dummy light anyway.

5

Yes, the switch and transaxle are working as designed, it's just the lamp on the dash that stays lit all the time. My 19 year old isn't really a gear head like his brother and I, and I'd like to have the light working as it should. I figure there must be a sensor somewhere that's malfunctioning. I have the 2 volume Ford shop manual, but just started looking at it yesterday. Thanx.