Battery going dead

Asked by Sep 23, 2015 at 10:17 AM about the 1999 Mercury Sable

The battery is new.  Have checked everything on the battery.  Disconnected everything but something is still drawing power.  Can you tell me where to find the engine compartment light switch.  I can't find it and would like to see if it turns off.

105,535

Here is a good You Tube to help fine where a short is coming from it will help you narrow it down...Copy and paste...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5FJDgcdii8

This was for a PT Cruiser. I have a 1999 Mercury Sable. Don't contact me anymore. Thank you.

3,435

The procedure for finding a draw (or short) in any vehicle is basically the same, so almost any video on youtube should be of help to you if you go to youtube and search the term "how to trace a short in a car". Having said that, let's see if I can help you be finding some more info about your problem. Based on your question, it would seem that you suspect that the engine compartment light switch is possibly the problem. When the hood is closed, can you see any light on the ground under the car or through the grill? Since part placements vary from car to car, I cannot give you the exact location for your car, but the simplest way to find out is to remove the bulb from the socket. Also, it would be more likely that it could be the bulb in the trunk that would be stuck on and drawing the power, since you would never know it unless you got in the trunk and closed it. One of the simplest ways to find a current draw or short in wiring these days is to get an inexpensive short tester like the SG Tool Aid 25100 Short Tester Sold by: Amazon.com LLC $26.08. It comes with instructions and is easy to use. You can also find the same or a similar one at almost any auto parts store.