My mercury cougar will not start or turn over

20

Asked by Sep 06, 2013 at 11:30 AM about the 1999 Mercury Cougar

My cougar will not start. When I put the key in all the lights and everything comes on like
normal but when I try to crank it, it doesn't even turn over. I had it put on a computer &
they said to get the key programmed. The guy said he couldn't program the key because
the car needed a path module or the computer in it could be fried. Is there any way I can
bypass the path module completely or test it to see what exactly is wrong & how I can fix
it? I checked on the path module & I can only get it from the dealership & it is very
expensive, so if there is any way I could bypass that it would be awesome.

237,475

You can't bypass it. Try contacting a local locksmith, the larger ones might have the equipment to help you.

20

To you, does it sound like the path module or computer. We're i live there's not a lot of locksmiths.

237,475

Sorry I can't answer that. Maybe someone else on here can help you.

105

I had a similar problem on my 95 explorer that required me to get new keys. It cost $150 to make 3 keys and have them programmed. I only had 1 key and for some reason it went bad. If I would have had 2 keys I could have programmed a new one myself. I hope yours is something simple. Good Luck.

20

Thanks for your answer. I have two keys but they are not the original keys. They have a different name on them & it looks like they have a chip in the top of them. I'm at a loss. I don't know if it is the key or the computer or the path module. Thanks for your help though.

30

ac compressor is locked up i garuntee it that was what was wrong with mine

10

i have a question i have a 1999 mercury cougar and it has a new motor it started once and died and i had it tested and it said the computer was bad.. how much do they cost and where is located on the car