2000 Mercury Villager won't start.

Asked by Jan 03, 2009 at 12:29 PM about the 2000 Mercury Villager

Van won't start. 2 month old battery, plenty power. Makes a LOUD clicking noise when the key is turned.

130

Although the battery is good, is it properly charged? why was the battery replaced? could be an alternator problem and the battery is not getting properly charged. the starter solenoid is getting power if you hear the clicking sound, but not enough to turn the starter motor.

Sounds like a starter problem. Check the connections at the starter and try tapping the starter with a hammer.

3,695

Either your starter or the cable from the starter to the battery is bad.

2,210

FOLLOW THESE STEPS IN ORDER!!! Did it start ok before replacing the battery? Chances are the battery install is the problem. 1st, insure battery is fully charged. If that checks out, check your connections...they may not be solid. Based solely upon your sympton, your battery is either not 100% charged or the connections are bad. If that fails, the solenoid is ok because it clicks. I'd bench test the starter and see if it spins. If it fails the bench test, replace the starter.