2001 mercury sable no fuel

Asked by Jan 09, 2016 at 06:36 PM about the 2001 Mercury Sable

Can't hear pump and no fuel pressure. have power out of inertia switch. ether
check good. Fires then quits. is this fuel pump or is it possible to be something

If you have power back at the fuel pump, and you checked fuel pressure and it is low, then probably the fuel pump. But make sure you have a new fuel filter in place to eliminate that from possibly being plugged.

I have fuel in tank but no pressure at all at the fuel rail. No sound from the pump at all when turning ignition on. Haven't checked for power AT the pump, nor have I checked for full voltage. Just used a test light on both sides of the inertia switch and have a good solid light on input and output sides. I'm disabled (back issues) so before I attempt getting at the pump I thought I would check if there were other components possible as it looks like a MONSTER to get at and repair cost is a bit out of my budget. Not like an external pump where I could run temp wires to + and - on pump to see if it runs. Just looking to eliminate anything that may be easier to get at to check.

There is a Fuel Pump Driver Module in the system somewhere, I just went to my on line parts store and looked up fuel delivery parts, so I wouldn't even know were it is. Never the less it is expensive, you would still want to verify power at the plugin for the fuel pump. There may be an access panel over the fuel tank to remove to get at the fuel pump. Under the carpet.

Guy Outland

The tank has to come down to get at that pump as there isn't an access panel under the rear seat. The car nearly has to be on a lift to get the tank down enough to replace the pump, the exhaust is in the way just enough to hold the tank in place.

Thanks for that input Guy...

Thanks you SOOOO much for your help. Looks like the next step is to check power at the pump. Anyone know if there's a connector that can be accessed to check the power without dropping the tank?

Guy Outland

The connector is attached to the seam at the lower passenger side of the tank and can be tested with out pulling anything down other than the friction harness holder.