What is going on with my marquis?

Asked by Sep 02, 2013 at 12:14 PM about the 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis

Hi, I was driving to Houston this weekend and experienced as series of problems that left me confused and scared.  Here's what happened:  as I was driving, all of a sudden the car would not go above 45; had to turn off overdrive to be able to drive normally; a/c stopped working and found out that a/c clutch wasn't good; took it off and bypassed it by getting a smaller band; after a while, the blinkers stopped working; replaced fuse, only to discover next day, that blinkers weren't working again.  Now, besides feeling my car is have a 'nervous' breakdown, I'm really concerned that one thing after the other is happening.  I personally feel there's a short somewhere and I'm afraid I'll blow up on the road.  Can anyone give me suggestions, or guide me where I need to go?  Please!!!!!!!

Do you have money, or credit? Take it to a dealer and get a new car- I don't give blunt advice like this usually, but from the sound of it, your car is turning to dust- you MUST have reliable transportation in Houston- trade it in on your dream car and feel happy again

Thank you for you brutal honesty, lol. I don't live in Houston, thank goodness. I was just visiting. As for trading it in, that's not an option because it was my mother's car (she passed away almost two years ago). Thank you.

your probably correct need to get the electric systems checked out. first Try the dealer to start or sec ondly. If there is a electrical vehicle specialist in the area might want to try them first..

Mark Langolf

had the car sat prior to getting it from your mother? Also may have one or two original sensors that need replacement. Since is a 01 Marquis you may want to take it in to the dealer an have them hook up an run a full system diagnostic on it. Though having blinkers work then not after a fuse leads me closer to thinking its a grounding issue not just a bad wire. Maybe something as simple as a ground that's rusted away an needs to be replaced/repositioned.

The above answers are really good. That ground issue is interesting, something like that can really fool you. Also plug in a scanner, or have an auto store do it to see if you get any codes. If it was your Mom's car, it probably has low miles, worth digging into it. check the cable or wire grounding the engine to the frame/battery. Maybe even take it loose and clean the terminals.

Bob Beaman

Busted, you posted to a 2 year old thread.