Cranks but wont start

10

Asked by Mar 14, 2016 at 03:33 PM about the 2001 Mercury Cougar

My 2001 mercury cougar cranks but wont start. I
also noticed that the vents sound like they are
working, but no air comes out, while the defrost is
still working.

38,005

Need to check for spark at the coil, and or having the proper fuel pressure. Air only out the defrost would be the HVAC blend door actuator under the dash.

10

Is the HVAC blend door actuator at all connected to the main issue? I really am ignorant about car mechanics. This is my first time trying to figure out a car problem by myself. I'm a 26 year old female. Decided now was as good a time as any to learn.

10

I ask if they are connected because I didn't have a problem with it before. The vents would stop blowong for a fee seconds here and there, but rarely. Now they are not blowing at all, and it only just started when this problem started.

10

*blowing for a few

38,005

Oh boy, no the blend door actuator has nothing to do with the engine starting up. I would suggest having someone help you out until you learn a few things unless you want to give it a go here. There will be a lot of explaining on what to do.

10

Weird that they would mess up at the same time. I have help coming later, I'm just determined to figure some of this out on my own. I want to check the spark plugs, but am not sure how. I found a video to change spark plugs on a mercury cougar, but it seemed complicated. You had to unbolt and move this big metal thing (Haha.. thats the technical term, I'm sure). I'm not sure if I need to do all of that just to check them, but it seems you can't get to them otherwise? Should I wait to check spark plugs or can I do them on my own? The internet seems to think it is an easy thing to do.

38,005

The spark plugs may need changing but that is not the cause for the no start condition, so leave them alone at the moment. They are easy to break. Is the blower motor working inside the vehicle? (the fan)?

10

Yes, I can hear the fan.

10

You said to check for spark at the coil.. how do I do that?

38,005

Do you know what the coil looks like? There would be one wire running to it and a plugin with smaller wires running to it, Do you see it?

38,005

You pull the bigger wire off of the distributor cap and put a spark plug in the end of it and lay it down on like the intake manifold, something that is ground, the metal part of the spark plug, and have someone turn the engine over and watch for a spark between the gap of the spark plug. Do not be touching that wire while the engine is cranking, you could get a good jolt from the spark if there is one there.

38,005

The bigger wire from the coil to the distributor cap. The one in the middle of the cap.

10

My dad is here and we are going to try that. We are trying to locate the coil now..

10

Not sure the 01 mercury cougar has a distributor cap..

38,005

Ok, it showed that some did which had the one coil, another listing showed a coil pack. You can take any of those wires and check for spark.