My 2003 Mercury Sable suddenly died while driving down street -help!

Asked by Jan 25, 2015 at 02:14 PM about the 2003 Mercury Sable

My 2003 Mercury Sable suddenly died while driving down street -help! I was on a
residential street and had pulled over to let a car go by, and then it died.  However started
right up when jumped, was parked overnight and it started up fine the next morning.
Battery test was fine. I'm worried about my high school daughter driving this car now.
What could the problem be?

49,395

Why was it jumped, was the battery bad or discharged?

Yes, car suddenly died, did not start at all, which is why it needed to be jumped.

Make sure the battery terminals are clean and tight and have the alternator tested. Suddenly quitting without warning, without acting up in any way and starting up the next morning throws a bit of head-scratching in this one, but for one is the red battery light on? It's a battery icon but is really the alternator warning

Best Answer

I have same problem with 2003 mercury Sable ls. I did have a red charging light on . changed alternator light went out. One month later same problem but no charging light battery tests good.but not getting charged. is there a FUSE that controls charging?? or do I need to replace or have alternator checked...again?

6,805

@Mongo. Easier to take it to autoparts store to get it checked but you may want to checj the battery cables for corrosion and make sure they're tight