How do I find out what kind of transmission I have in my standard 1991 626 Mazda and does it have some way to check the fluid?

Asked by May 05, 2012 at 03:36 PM about the 1991 Mazda 626

And does it have some way to check the fluid? My car started making it difficult to put the stick into first gear now it's smells horrible and it won't go into 1st or 2nd but it will let me go into 3rd, 4th, 5th and reverse HELP

3,455

smells like you need a new clutch ... If that smell practicaly makes you sick ,thats the clutch ..PBN

3,455

It is very possible that the front seal went out of your tranny and soaked the clutch disc with oil . this would result in a NOISY transmission and a slipping clutch .. IF the slave cylinder has blown it's seal inside the bellhousing, then your clutch would not disengage properly and slip , and stink ... I hate that smell .... It makes you want to jump out of the car even at 60 mph!!

3,455

check clutch master cylinder for proper fluid level ,then remove the upper plug on side of tranny case (not the bottom one this will drain the trans ) the upper plug once removed will allow you to place your finger inside the hole and feel for fluid below the hole inside the case ... if you cant feel any oil then SLOWLY unscrew lower drain plug until it is almost removed and look for signs of oil beginning to seep out around plug ... remove it quickly witness condition and appearance of fluid and replace quickly ... or not and just drain it and fill with new oil ... If it' not got the correct volume of oil when drained find out where it's going and fix it ... (front or rear seal or vent )