1993 Tempo starting issue

Asked by Jan 17, 2013 at 06:47 PM about the 1993 Ford Tempo

Here is the issue I am having with my car. I'd be most interested and appreciative you can think of any reason for the problem.

Car: 1993 Ford Tempo. 47,000 original miles. Automatic transmission.

Symptoms: Car has difficulty starting at times. Sometimes it starts right up fine. Other times It may take up to 10 minutes of turning the key on and off, moving the floor shifter from P to D to 2 to N, to P, etc. Shaking the car with my foot out the door also seems to help it start in conjunction with moving the shifter. It has never NOT started, rather at times it takes a while. After I turn the key, I always have full power such as radio, lights, etc. There does not appear to be a way to recreate the issue. It either starts right up, or does not initially start in all weather, park incline, etc.

Shop said they checked the following:
battery, all battery grounds, engine ground, starter relay (put a new one in, same problem, then put the old one back), entire electrical system, ignition switch.

If you have any ideas of what could be the culprit, please let me know.

Thanks a bunch.

jzis

98,075

I would suspect the safety switch in the shift linkage. It is supposed to allow the car to start in park and neutral.

5

I got a 1993 ford tempo 3.0 .I got a battery drain its got a new alt new batt and starter.and I also need a digram for the fender sol it has 6 wires to it..plzz help I'm at wits end