I plugged the battery in the wrong way round. Is my car dead?

Asked by Mar 14, 2012 at 03:43 PM about the 1994 Mazda 323

My 323 won't start now after the terminal sparked briefly because I connected the leads to the battery
the wrong way. What do I need to do?
Is this just a matter of replacing a fuse? If so which one is likely to be the culprit?
It seems completely dead at the moment.
Oh dear...

you reversed the polarity and may have totally killed the battery, and possibly even the alternator. you may need to seek a professional.

55

Check the main fuse, usually that takes a hit to protect the rest of the systems. Be sure to check that all the systems are working correctly before driving off(ie cooling fan, lights, etc)

Thanks. I tried the key but everything's dead. I'll check the fuse when it's light. Hopefully it's just that

check main fuse. master fuse box under hood