Have a 95 Mazda protege 1.8L 4 cyl dohc lost compression timing looks ok , no sign of water in oil, timing belt turning as well as crank but no compression at all any suggestions

Asked by Feb 15, 2014 at 01:12 AM about the 1995 Mazda Protege

135

Take off the radiator cap and crank it over. This will sometimes tell you if your head gasket is blown the water will bubble or blow out of the radiator if compression is getting into the water jacket. It may have also jumped time. A few teeth off can cause valves to be open at the wrong time and reduce compression.

1,145

If its in all cylinders, it could also be that the timing belt has skipped. If that's happened, it will do it again and you could sustain engine damage at speed. Has it been replaced recently? If not, pull the cover, look for the marks and replace the belt anyway.

Belt has not been replaced but when crank Mark is tdc marks on cams line up right which cylinder needs to be all the way up i know #1 but on this car which one is that, one closest to crank or opposite end

1,145

Crank side.