Why is my Mazda 95 idling high?

5

Asked by Sep 12, 2007 at 04:50 PM about the 1995 Mazda 626

When I start my car it, it idles high then drops to under 1000 rpm.
When I put in drive and accelerate, if I take my foot off the gas, it starts idling high (2500 rpm) for 15-20 seconds then drops to about normal. I,ve changed the mass air flow sensor, checked for leaks. What could be the problem?

15,135

Hi gogetter28, This sounds like a sensor issue. If your "Check Engine" light is on take it into your local parts store and ask them to read the computer trouble codes. This should give you an indication of what's going wrong. If not, I would suggest taking it to your trusted mechanic. There are too many sensors to mention that could be related to this problem and replacing them one by one could become very costly. Good luck!

110

Hey there if your check engine light is on then check and see if you have a obd scanner plug under the hood torwards the front of the vehicle on the driver side. Then if you do take a paper clip with the vehicle in the on position but not running use the paper clip to connect the 10 and ground. Afterwards watch the check engine light inside. It should blink slow for the first part of the number and then fast for the second part of the number. That is the number that is in reference to the code your engine is popping up. Take that number and check the forums. One of them probably has the codes listed. Most auto stores don't deal with vehicles older than 96 for codes. But this should help you.