Re Overdrive

15

Asked by Sep 17, 2012 at 02:09 AM about the 2001 Mazda Tribute

I have been driving my car (auto transmission) with overdrive ON for the past few months, not realizing it should have been OFF (I didn't have a manual when I bought it!).  Does it do the car damage to drive with it ON when it doesn't need to be ON?

Cheers  :)

241,595

Buy ON, do you mean the light was on? If the light was ON, the overdrive was off. If the light is OFF the overdrive will be able to activate. So I assume by your question that the light in the dash that says OD was ON and you have the overdrive locked out. You did not do damage to your tranmsission. The only thing would be you had worse MPG than you could have if were able to get into overdrive. Overdrive is basically 4th gear, so unless you were going over 45, this is all a moot point.

15

Thanks for your reply. By ON I mean the light is not on, therefore it has been in overdrive the entire time I have been driving the car. Soooo, am I doing the car damage by having it in overdrive when it really is meant to be off? It's annoying to try to remember to click the button each time I start the car. Sorry Guru Guys lol

805

just leave it on. as Tom said its basically another gear. it wont hurt anything to leave it on. you'll get better mileage on the freeway but your shifting will simply behave differently.

15

Thanks heaps fellas! Cheers from down under :)

10

Hi my mum's Mazda Tribute Overdrive buttons flashing and is changing gears funny what can I do

10

my Mazda tribute v6 the O/D light is flashing and gear is changing but it sims is in lock gear because the speed is not much as usual cars. i mean if you just lever RPM 2 u only have speed 60km and engine noise is so much to rich 100 u need to go 3 to 4 RPM and like your killing engine but as i say all gear is changing. i try to replace the switch on top of gear box under batter. but is same thing nothing change and fuel is high consumption it use 1 litter to 6 kms