my 2002 mazda tribute suffers from canstant misfiring-so much so that at times it seems to be running on only 4 of its 6 cylinders. which lends itself to the horrible gas mileage im getting.

Asked by Dec 25, 2012 at 06:02 AM about the 2002 Mazda Tribute

10

This needs to go to a garage where they can run a diagnostic check, there are to many things here to write down to look at, should take the garage about an hour to fond the problem.+

8,705

any chain parts store, can run a diagnostic check for free!!! they can give you a list of codes of things wrong with the engine, don't buy anything yet, report back on here, so a mechanic such as myself can find 1 common reason for such codes, and save the 100+ dollars on a diag. :)

97,105

Remove the electrical connectors on the fuel injectors and read the ohms with a meter. They should all be around the same value - 12-15 ohms. If one is much higher, the coil is open and needs replacing. If all injectors are good, replace the spark plugs. If you run the engine too long with a misfire, you could lose the O2 sensor.

10

Constant issue with coil packs going bad due to extreme heat. The factory coils will go away at about 100,000 or 115,000. Need to do tune up and replace all of the coils and plugs...

2002 Tribute...showed bad O2 sensors...bad MAF..bad throttle air bypass...and a multicylinder misfire...pulled plenum...replaced plugs...replaced gaskets...cleared codes...still ran like crap...checked fuel pressure...good...noticed a lot of blow by out of oil filler cap and dipstick...suspected bad catalytic converter..pulled rear cat...it was filled with material...fired up car..accelerateso and runs great...replaced cat...no further issues...Ford is famous for not giving better explanationsoon for the codes or possible other problems...CHECK THE CATALYTIC CONVERTER BEFORE CHANGING OUT EXPENSIVE PARTS!!!

OOHH..I forgot to mention...if you have no spark at coils...check the crankshaft position sensor connection... When these engines get hot... the connectors for sensors and senders have a tendency of getting brittle and they will break and come off... do not start changing ignition coils or thinking about the PCM until you have made sure the connections are good!!

These are known for coils going bad, and when they do it burns out the drivers on the board inside the ECM, if this has happened to you, replace ALL coils and ECM and that will fix your problem.