2002 Mazda Protege5 looses power when lights turned on

10

Asked by Jul 07, 2013 at 05:19 PM about the 2002 Mazda Protege5

I have a 2002 Mazda protege5.  I've had this issue for almost a year now.  sometimes the car will drag to crank like the battery is dead, but then cranks.  sometimes it cranks perfectly fine.  When I slow down (like for a stop sign or red light) the power drains (lights go dim, etc.).  Sometimes when i'm driving and turn on the lights, the car will die .. even if I'm going 70 .. the battery light comes on, all power drains, but if I quickly turn the lights off it is fine.  I've replaced the battery, the alternator .. and it does fine for a few months and then .. bam problem is back.  help

108,595

Check all battery connections. Make sure all are clean and tight. Also check your negative connections from battery to frame and motor. Where they connect at frame and motor remove and clean area real well to in sure it is making a good connection. You will probably find your problem at one of these two locations. Hope this helps.

23,765

Yeah it does sound like a connection problem. The light-weight connectors at the battery terminals go to crap pretty fast. Take apart and clean and inspect all of the connections like dandyoun suggests. Wouldn't hurt to put the battery on a low amperage charger for the night too.

10

We put a heavy duty brass connector on the negative side and it doesn't drain anymore. BUT .. now when I go to crank it, it acts like its out of gas ?? fuel filter? fuel pump? fuel regulator? I am beginning to hate this car.

10

Still have this issue .... see this thread http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-c2687_ds563454