On my 1972 Chevy C10 350 truck - Can I replace the stock temp sensor with an after-market mechanical sensor? If so, can I use the stock sensor location for the after market unit?

Asked by Aug 18, 2015 at 12:48 PM about the 1972 Chevrolet C/K 10

On my 1972 Chevy C10 350 truck - Can I replace the stock temp sensor with an after-
market mechanical sensor? If so, can I use the stock sensor location for the after market
unit?  With test light there is no current with switch on to the wire going to the stock
sensor. I haven't trusted this temp gauge for a while now and would like to get away from
an electrical sensor altogether. Thanks for any help -

59,005

Yes you can. The reason you have no power at the sensor wire is because it's a ground for the gauge on the dash. The sensor (actually a sending unit on your truck) is a variable resistor to ground. As the coolant warms up the resistance value of the sending unit drops. As this happens the gauge pointer moves up. To test the gauge ground the wire that plugs onto the sending unit. Then momentarily turn on the ignition. The temp gauge should peg to hot. Don't leave the ignition on for more than a second or 2 or you'll burn out the gauge. HTH. -Jim