Recently my auto transmission has become difficult to shift back into park. Any ideas...

Asked by Dec 12, 2012 at 06:51 PM about the 1972 Chevrolet C/K 10

5

i would check the tanny oil and if its dry thats probally the problem, or your shifter in to tight down in the neck and you should grease it up, or maybe it could be the whole drive shaft needs greased up!

33,375

Check the rod for the shifter to make sure it hasn't slid. My 1990 slid and I had to hold the shifter all the way up to remove the key. The shifter won't be any less or more difficult to move due to the level of the fluid.

check the plastic grommet in the shifter linkage they wear & break over time.

3,145

the plastic bushing down at the base of the steering col. under the hood ... also check the linkage pivot under the cab on the frame rail to see if it's got road oil or something on it to make it sticky