1971 has no power at all

Asked by Jun 20, 2013 at 11:52 PM about the 1971 Chevrolet C/K 10

replaced the distributor on my 1971 c10 it started right up ran perfect at idle for 30 minutes I shut it off an walked in house to get a drink came back out to start it again and it would not turn over noticed that none of the lights were working an horn didn't work either all worked before I went to get drink

96,775

Check you battery connections, sounds like a black corrosion problem.

14,645

Corrosion may be part of the problem, but what took place immediately may be a short somewhere that drained your battery dead. Re-check all your wiring for proper connections, frayed wiring or bear wires grounding the positive side. Was the distributor a straight original equipment replacement, or a fancy after market type. Make sure the wiring is correct per the instructions and compare it to the wiring of your old one. Did you disconnect your battery cables to replace the parts, if so, are they correctly attached and making contact with the battery terminals only?

14,645

If your bear wires are fine, check for bare wires also. :-(