283 motor need help

Asked by Jul 03, 2014 at 07:16 PM about the 1966 Chevrolet C/K 10

I took my 283 motor apart and put new head gaskets on it and got it all back to gether but
now its not getting any fire.i put the distributer back in the same spot as i took it out off
and i put a screw driver in the spark plug wire and it didnt spark.does anyone know what i
can do to fix it

68,635

Did you remember to hook the ground straps back up that go from the heads to the firewall? They're often overlooked upon re-assembly. HTH. -Jim

14,695

Make sure all the wires are connected. Is the coil wire on? The distributor can get 180 degrees turned around and it will slide back into the hole and hook up to the camshaft. Make sure your at TDC on cylinder # 1 when the distributor is showing it is set to fire on # 1. Make sure the cap is not cracked, the points are set correctly, the rotor is clean (contacts) and the wires are in the orrect holes and in correct firing order. IF all that is good, are you getting any electricity to the distributor /coil?