Can I Install Small Block V-8 in 1965 CHevy Pickup

55

Asked by Mar 15, 2013 at 04:35 PM about the 1965 Chevrolet C/K 10

What I would like to do is remove the inline six in my 1965 Chevy Pickup and install a Small Block or Big Block V8. I have a three on the tree and would like to keep that in place. Is there any V8's that would be easier to install than certain other V8'S ? Anyone tackle this before?

Standard engine was the High Torque 230 Six with the big 292 Six or 283 V8 available,

55

Yes, but can I put a modern Block(off e-bay for example) in place of the 230 Six cylinder? What will work and what won't? (Modern engine that will bolt up to three on the tree)

2,385

you could fit any engine you want . Your allways gona struggle puting in an engine no mater what engine it is.I would put a modrn LS engie if your looking for that modern horse power.

97,135

How about a nice low RPM, high torque Cadillac V8 from the 70's? You can get those hard to find parts at http://www.500cid.com/

3,150

Just my opinion but if the six runs good, just leave it. My buddy had one just like yours and it had real good power. If you have fast on your brain that three on the tree will have to go for it is way, way to slow shifting. Although with the right rear end gears maybe 4.56's instead of the stock 4.00's u could use just 2nd and 3rd gear with somewhat faster results. Also if you did'nt check the rear swing arms you might want to they love to rust out. l also believe that truck has a factory posi.

13,695

If you want a V-8, a small block GM will work. You will have to put in motor mounts in a different location, and find a transmission that will fit. You may have to give up the 3 on the tree unless you find an adapter to bolt up to the new engine. This will mean moving the trans mounts to a new location also. There are a lot of good automatic trans made now that are nearly as good as your manual. If you want it for show, try a 5 speed from tremec, but if it is a work truck and you want power, an inline 6 is your ticket. Look at a turbo for more power or after market F.I systems. The 3 on the tree will not give you the real power you need for an everyday work truck. Look at sites that have customized p/u trucks and see what they have done. Go to a good speed shop and ask there also.

165

any small block wil work the inline six mounts wount work buy mounts for a small even for a passenger size car drill the holes bolt them up and put your 350 in and it will work with your three on the tree

I got a 66 c10 step side and I put a 454 with a floor shifter had to move motor mounts but wasn't to bad had to get bigger radiator with electric fan other fan wouldn't fit

13,695

robsoto, what about a transmission? same one? Or use one that was made for the 454? Also truck or auto 454? How-about driveshaft and rear end if you changed transmissions? Did you change the transmission mounts also? Since the truck was made for a small block V-8, and you dropped a huge block V-8, (HP and Tq, and CI) did you also change the front springs?