Have a 1964 chevy c10 truck that was update to HEI, my starter will start sometime and other have times have to use screwdriver to touch solenoid bolt and the positive bolt to bump the starter, once I do that I can start the truck, brand new starter, what issue do I have

Asked by Nov 05, 2016 at 08:19 PM about the 1963 Chevrolet C/K 10

76,885

THe starter issue has nothing to do with the HEI. You have a problem with the power to the solenoid. It could be the ignition switch, the relay or possibly a bad connection in the smaller wire to the solenoid. Sometimes the accessory hot wire gets eaten up with corrosion and then it cannot carry enough amperage to make the solenoid work. Clean and tighten the battery terminals and check the accessory hot wire.

Best Answer Mark helpful
76,885

It is possible that a 1963 does not have a relay between the ignition switch and the starter solenoid.

Tried 2 starter and same results on both, getting to rewire the complete truck, hope this will solve the problem

76,885

Good luck. Those trucks are worth fixing up.