1960 Chevy C-10 horn

20

Asked by Dec 17, 2011 at 07:16 PM about the 1960 Chevrolet C/K 10

I just bought a 1960 C-10 Stepside.  The horn does not work.  The previous owner has a marked wire for the horn (horn toots when power applied).  The previous owner has a wire for power nd one coming down the steering column.  Today, I bount a 4 terminal horn relay.  When all wires are connected (Power, ground, horn and horn button) the horn will not sound.  When I jump between the power side of relay to the horn button terminal on the relay, the horn toots fine.  I check the resistance between the horn button and the end of the wire attached to the horn button, I geet a ristance, so the wire is good.  Anyone know what my problem is?

3,695

Since jumping the relay seems to eliminate the symptoms, I would strongly suspect that the relay is bad. I would ask your local parts dealer if they could let you borrow a new relay to test in place of the original.

20

Thanks, Jonathan, I found the problem. The relay connection has to be modified. The horn, positive, and horn switch terminals work per the instructions. But, the relay ground and the positive has to be jumped together. So, the relay's ground and the battery (ignition switch positive) needs to be jumped together. Problem solved.

20

Another horn issue: I just successfully finished fabricating power steering for my 1960 C-10. It pushed the steering shaft up about 1/2 of an inch. Now, the brass horn ring pops out of place, and the horn sounds and I have to shut the engine off or unplug the horn under the hood and pull the steering wheel to push it back down into place. What are my options to get it ti stay in place? Thanks