Soft brakes

20

Asked by Oct 11, 2013 at 08:10 PM about the 1991 Lincoln Town Car

My 1991 Lincoln Town Car had great brakes until I decided it was time to go new because of the age of the car. New meaning Calipers, MC, pad's, fluid, slotted & drilled rotors, on all four.  All parts are Centric, pad's are premium, fluid is Valvoline dot3/dot4 synthetic.  I done a complete flush of the system, used the break out box to cycle the ABS system the 20/20/20 sec, sequence for the pump & valves. Vacuum bled the system, and there is no air what so ever in the lines.  Now I have a 3" pedal travel and soft brake action with no brake light or ABS light on.  My first thought was bad MC, so I went back to the old one, same issue.  Short of sending back the new one as defective, and buying another new one.  Could there be anything else to look for?  I am stumped

247,345

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t1830_ds561472

20

Thank you Tom, I agree with everything you said, and just because a MC is new, does not make it works. I am going to try anouther MC, I did replace the booster about five years ago, so at this point that is not suspect. And by the way I did bench bleed the MC prior to install.

20

Tom, follow up, purchased yet one more MC, this time from Autozone. I took my time 1 1/2 hours to be exact, to bench bleed the MC, the bubbles just kept coming. after no more bubbles, installed it, and WA-LA ,perfect brakes. The moral, make completely sure all the air is out of the MC, by taping the bottom, turning it on it's side, and waiting at least 10 sec between stroking the MC, and do it slowly and for as long as it takes to make the air go away..