why does the 1994 lincoin keep running when the key is off??

60

Asked by Apr 07, 2013 at 12:39 AM about the 1994 Lincoln Town Car

96,935

The ignition switch is worn out. Do you carry a lot of keys on your key ring? Sometimes the weight of excess trinkets puts a strain on the mechanism.

Engine very well could be running HOT and causing dieseling.

96,935

Good point Judge. A better grade of gas used to cure that in the olden days.

Run normally or chug chug really rough? Normal smooth idle equals tenspeed in on to something....a rough chug~hiss~ maybe even a backfire, the The Judge is closer to what's happenin'. "Dieseling" happens when the engine runs from being ignited by heat and compression, not the spark plug like a diesel engine is wont to do

Do they diesel anymore?...or am I stuck in the mindset of mechanical fuel pumps...guess power to the fuel pump could be cut, and the remaining fuel still under pressure in the loop could keep it running for two heartbeats, but no more- a mechanical pump wouldn't care and would let it diesel on...

No, they don't. I didn't think of that. I too was stuck in the 70's when I had my GTO that would do that, with 389 'tri'power' that I unhooked the two end 2bbl carbs to save gas when it skyrocketed up to 48 cents a gallon in '73.

I just had that tune "would you like to ride in my beautiful balloon?" going through my head all morning...now this hasn't been in popular culture for 30 years...or more. Kinda represents the power of a well constructed melody~....guess one loses his mind or rather de-contructs the mind one little piece at a time~

earworms, hate it when that happens

and if it begins to happen to me on that song or any other now I will personally drive to you house and kick you ass.

I love Lincolns. Me grandpappy had one, when I went down to Florida when he was still alive in '91 his Lincoln had a coolant leak and a terrible crunch of what sounded like u-joints...tried to tell him, but the last time I criticized their Ford Pinto as the design being "dated", was admonished for my lack of tact and frankly was no expert and should have just shut up about it...now both are dead, the cars are gone, but not the memory of the Ford Pinto Wagon I was nasty to my grandparents about~ wanted them to save that Lincoln for me but was donated to charity...still fascinated by luxury cars~

I wish I could have kept my big ole' boat 1990 Town Car but it became a real money pit

60

when you turn the key off, the car run good just like the key was still on? sounds like key switch or ect parts. they have to pull the 40amp fuse to get it to stop! any other idels??? short of buying a new switch!

The switch and the key are two separate entities, the key has detents that put it in acc, on, or start..not too sure. but the key is just a guide to the shaft which turns less than ninety degrees....see now I'm gonna have to dig to find out if the detents are on the key part or on the switch part...good one for puttin' my head back into this thing doukni, you are getting ten from me for gettin' me studyin' on this one again~

Best Answer
10

This happens with my 1986 if i turn back past off to accessory position the engine shuts off.