Air Ride Issue

20

Asked by Sep 23, 2013 at 09:02 PM about the 1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Hello,  I have a Mark Viii with (surprise) an air ride issue.  The system appears to be
completely dead and the car is slowly sinking.  The self diagnostic say's "Air Ride
System OK" but clearly it's not.  The compressor was starting to get noisy but since
the computer seems to think everything's OK it makes me think the computer may be
the problem.  A few points: The system disable switch in the trunk is on.  The air struts
have been replaced.  I do not want to hear from anyone about replacing the system
with springs!!! I think the air ride system is one of the great features of the car.  
Specifically I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with a system that clearly has
a problem, but the computer doesn't signal "Check Air Ride".  Thanks Wayne

5,850

Check for air leaks and all so make sure the check valve in the copressor is good and not bleeding out on you

5,850

Or if your pump was making noise maybe the pump it self is shot

20

I found the problem. It was the air ride control module. I had thought this was the case for some time and I was able to find a compatible unit on ebay. The system had been acting very flaky before it went dead completely and at no point did the message center signal "Check Air Ride" as if the computer though everything was peachy. I should have mentioned that the car is located away from my main residence at a condo. I haven't been able to get there for about a year and the car had sunk down quite a bit over that year. I think this is probably a normal leak rate for over a year. I found a website that has a lot of information on the electrical part of the air ride system. "http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/airsuspension2.htm" Even though I was pretty sure that the air ride computer was the problem, I was concerned that some other electrical issue may have knocked it out, so with the old module out, I did several tests. First I used a multimeter at the plugs to confirm that the module had good power and ground, then to verify that all the solenoids and relays worked I simply used jumpers to the appropriate pins to fire the compressor and each of the four air bag solenoids. Doing this I was able to raise the car manually, one wheel at a time and get it at least drivable in case the module was not actually the problem. After doing my tests I plugged the new module in and tried it. To my relief the air ride system immediately activated and raised the car a bit more and re-leveled it. I now plan to replace the noisy air compressor and dryer assembly and I'm hoping that this will be the end of problems for awhile. Thanks to Ronc258 for responding.

5,850

Thanks Waynea glad I was able to help in some ways