1998 Lincoln Continental

Asked by May 09, 2013 at 03:12 PM about the 1998 Lincoln Continental

I replaced the lower ball joint on the right hand side of my car, after giving it a few good
whacks on the side of the control arm, I had to revert to using a BJ pulley. After I installed
the new part and drove it to the alignment shop, the lower ball joint had come loose from
the lower control arm. There seems to be a bushing/sleeve that is in the control arm, and
it has worked it's way out of the control arm. After seeing this problem, I've done some
research and have only found ford saying that the ball joint is "NOT serviceable"... Will. A
new lower control arm fix my issue? Has anyone ad a similar problem? The car does
have adjustable suspension.

yes a new lower control arm will fix your probelm. it will come with a new ball joint made into it.

it does have an adjustable suspension, such that a lazer alignment could tell us whether or not the lower ball joints are keen, and any other components such as upper control arm bushings that may need attention if you're gonna keep it a while longer~

Terry Godfrey

There are oversized ball joints for many ford applications but not always fool proof. Go with the control arm. Get the alignment and you will be fine.

Pamela Bougie

Does a2001 lincoln continetal have upper and lower ball joints

Yes I had the SAME issue. I thought i was going crazy because a couple weeks after doing a ball joint, my steering went way off center overnight. I put it on my lift at work and there it was, the control arm failed. because i had no parts i was able to put the sleeve back up in the arm and peen it front underneath to secure it to make the car driveable while i waited for new parts. i thought that my pounding on it to break the ball joint had weakened the arm in that area so it let go of that sleeve. it ruined the brand new ball joint right away. still not sure what happened but new arms and ball joint plus alignment and radius rod bushings plus alignment and i have a new front end.