Spark Plugs

Asked by Apr 06, 2009 at 12:20 PM about the 2000 Lincoln Town Car

Any preferences? Anybody know anything about Pulse Plugs?

8,735

The 'pulse plugs' or pulstars are a scam... Find any dyno data that says they make improvements and you see it's compared to what the car was doing with worn plugs in it. When you find any decent testing it shows negligible results in either direction They are no better and no worse, well they do cost more and wear out faster so I guess they are worse... It's the same scam that was done with the special plug wire a few years back (Name of those escapes my memory for the moment)... Google pulstar dyno and sooner or later you'll find a forum where they test them against new OEM plugs... Most conclusive I saw was done by a guy on a corvette community. I think he showed a little less than 1% which is well within tolerance of the dyno making them inconclusively better. But that's my memory talking so you can look it up for more accurate information than my ramblings. Platinum plugs are good since they last a bit longer and self clean better than most others and they are commonly available. I personally like the Bosch twin-electrode ones just because they are usually pre-gapped and can be picked up at walmart here for cheaper than bargain brand at a parts store. They may not be the best, but they work more than well enough and the price is right. It's my understanding though that performance wise old copper core ones still edge out the competition by a bit, although I haven't seen any competitive dyno testing of iridium plugs yet so I can't say for certain... In my 914 I run NGK Copper Cores, once again for a couple reasons, availability, performance, cost, recommendation of people far smarter than I am....

Thanks for the info. The lack of info available had me waiting on the Pulse plugs. What do you know about the Iridium type plugs?

7,685

i run ngk iridium plugs in my suzuki gsx-r 1000. love them. its the only plug im willing to use. ngk is actually my favorite brand of spark plugs. i buy them for my 5.7L hemi 300C too

Thanks for responding. After having done some research, I think I'm going with NGK Iridium. Any suggestions on Ignition wires?

7,685

stock should be just fine. it wil give plenty of juice to the plugs to fire. no need to get upgraded wires unless youre running a hot rod

Thanks.