Did not drop fuel tank for pump replacement

Asked by Jan 12, 2017 at 10:32 AM about the 2001 Lincoln Town Car

Had a fuel pump installed on 2001 Lincoln town car at local shop.. fuel gage
now does not work. Shop told me they basically had to drop the tank twice..
once to replace and 2nd time to test for gage. Electronic message center.
Several settings. All settings work but not the miles to empty as at start up
fuel gage reads just over half a tank which is where it was before work done
but after 15-20 seconds gage drops to E and message center reads CS. 3
weeks go by and I take it to a mechanic I know near where I work for
unrelated issue but mention work I had done at other shop. So he tells me
and shows me that they never dropped the tank to replace fuel pump. They
dropped the exhaust and replaced and by doing so they spliced the wires to
reconnect. Wires are rigged up and even have some that are resting on
exhaust pipe. Is it ever common practice to replace a pump in this way..
Trying to figure out what to tell them when I call to complain. They also told
me the fuel gage problem was in the cluster...can't help but think this is BS
and they damaged the float or sender.

113,655

Time to complain, make sure you take photos and I would take that car back and get my money back for the repairs and go somewhere else to have the repair done....It's guys like this that make good shops look like they are all A***H***LES

I did take a couple pictures.. I just can't figure out why they would splice the wires..it is my understanding they plug in.. but you have to drain and drop the tank...now that the wires are spliced not sure there is any going back... Does anyone know why they would not drop tank to make this repair.. wish I knew more but unfortunately I am at their mercy for the most part.

113,655

They are lazy and wanted a quick buck from you and they would or have done it to other people. Stand you ground and get all your money back...

105,515

Apparently this was not a certified shop, if they are advertising that they are ask them for the credentials stating so but even still you deserve your money back. Man if something like that happened in my shop you can bet that the tech that did it would be gone, one thing I can't stand is shoddy unprofessional work.

Pretty sure it is a certified shop.. Have used them before. Car is old I understand and I would be ok saving money on a repair if mechanic told me and/or explained how to fix something on the cheap being as I only intend to drive the car another year maybe 2. My mechanic near work showed me the bolts to drop the tank and said you can tell they had not been touched...Just trying to get my ducks in a row before I confront them.

105,515

I just had a horrible thought, what if they cut a hole in the body under the sound proofing mats in back to gain access to the tank. Horrible thought I know but might be worth checking out.

More details to the story...I had planned on taking car to mechanic I know near where I work... had an issue where car had problems starting...would crank fine but would not kick over... was at a gas station...called AAA to have it towed but about 5 minutes before they arrived it started so I cancelled the call.. Started fine a few times after but had planned on taking in on Monday...Saturday went to the store and came out and would not start.. went back Sunday and still would not start so I had it towed to shop near home... preferred shop on AAA's list from this location. Shop ran diagnostics and replaced ignition coil but since I had it there had them do oil change and check why car's check engine light was on..Knew car had been misfiring... $300.00 to replace ignition coil and oil change...call me and now say I need fuel pump...now $800.00....check engine still on... run diagnostics again... misfire in cylinder 4... now $1100... turn car over to me and fuel gage fails and light back on... mechanic had said he had issues with this after first test drive... Now they tell me problem with gage is in the cluster... car won't pass inspection because gage is part of electronic message center and triggers check engine light.. can't quote price on fix.. very suspicious so I say dont even bother.... can't help but feel fuel pump might not have ever needed to be replaced.

55,435

I would go over there and kick somebody right in the nuts.