My car wont accelerate when i press on the gas. The rpm increases but my car wont go. I have to let go of the gas serveal times just to pick up speed to go. Do i need a new transmission?

Asked by Feb 20, 2015 at 02:05 PM about the 2001 Lincoln LS

I have a 2001 Lincoln Ls. I recently took my car to pepboys to get a wheel allignment. I left the the store paying $1200 for work that aparently needed to be done my car. When i was leaving the store my car engine would rev but the car wasnt moving. Ive been having this problem for a week and its only getting worse. Do i need a new transmission and is this somthing pepboys could of done on spite?

146,255

I seriously doubt they did anything out of 'spite'...but I am curious as to what they talked you in to to total $1200 when all you wanted was a $80 alignment. They could have knocked a wire loose/off, but since the trouble already existed before you went there, all the more reason to not think they did anything intentionally to disable your transmission. If your Lincoln has 120,000 miles, the transmission may be simply worn out, or has anybody simply checked the fluid? And unless the fluid is dark/brown and/or has a burnt odor, do NOT allow it to be flushed. If the fluid is a nice red, a flush will do more harm than good. It could be a simple transmission solenoid, all the way to end-of-life problem. Take it to a reputable transmission shop. And like Aamco's ads say, "Half the people that come in don't need a new transmission" or they could just say "Half the people that come in we stick them for a new transmission". For $1200 you almost could have gotten a good reman transmission, which is every bit as good as a new $3500 one. But back to this: Check the fluid before anything else. Check at normal operating temperature, on level surface, Running in Park. If low only add a pint at a time. Re-check.

146,255

Or did I misunderstand that it was not doing that BEFORE?

Sorry I don't think I was clear. I never had that problem before. When I picked my car up to leave and go home the stalling occurred. I took it to a different shop yesterday and they did a diagnostic test and said that something with a 'm' was leaking and they think that's why my car is doing that... I don't really know anything about cars but I don't think a leak will cause that. But then again I don't know anything about cars. I just don't want to pay $700 to get it "fixed " for them to not even fix the issue.