The oil light and check engine light came on my 2004 Lincoln LS today

10

Asked by Aug 26, 2013 at 06:28 PM about the 2004 Lincoln LS

I saw an oil leak and took it in for an oil change and mentioned this to the repair person.  He said that there was no evidence of a leak and changed the oil.  I drove about 30 miles to a meeting, when I left the oil light came on, then the check engine, then it died just as I was able to pull into the local Ford dealer.  They have it now. Any ideas?

68,635

I doubt the two are related. Did you check the oil level on the dipstick? Was it low or high? An engine with an overfull crankcase will lose oil pressure because the oil will foam. When this happens the oil pump sucks air, not oil. The Ford Dealer will need to scan the computer for trouble codes to find out why the check engine light came on. If it came on after the engine stalled there will be no codes. My guess is that the computer shut down the engine because of the low oil pressure. A safety feature on many newer cars to prevent the engine from seizing up from lack of lubrication. HTH. -Jim

Oil pump failure,or filter failure, improper level by repair facility,if the engine stopped on its own irreversabile damage may have occurred. Engine replacement may be required.

10

I did not check the oil as I was alone on a busy highway. In that I had just been to have it serviced 2 hours prior, i am thinking the explanation of an overfilled crankcase may be the explanation. The car shut down after the oil and check engine lights came on, so hopefully the computer will be able to know what happened. I should have an answer in a day or two, I will be sure to share it here.

68,635

Yes, please do. I hope it's good news! -Jim