Alternater for lexus ls400 issues. My car wouldn't start till i jumped it. I went to auto zone and was told my alternater was only putting out 11v. I drove to another one and it read 13.09v. anyone kn

20

Asked by Oct 11, 2015 at 01:34 AM about the 1990 Lexus LS 400

I did cut all ac fog lights radio ect.from use
but is the there any reason other than
failure that can cause this problem

142,975

Well then one of the guys with the scanners or -voltage/ multi meters was mistaken. Some of the guys at parts houses know what they are doing... others not so much. Pulling fuses is not going to solve anything, either your charging system is working or not, an output of 11v means that your alt has failed or about to. 13.09 is what it should be. Up to 14.5. If your battery is 5 or 6 years old then it's likely just that simple. You need a new battery

Best Answer
20

I havent been using those things not removing the fuses. It hasnt had any issues since but the guy said 13.09 would keep it running but still drain my batt. I bought it in jan. So its still strong. I read that they have a problem with power steering fluid leaking into them and causing failure. I dont want to get stranded but dont have the cash to replace it.so will it be okay to drive on that output?