Fuel is leaking out of my hood ..i see where its leaking from. But i dont kno wwhats it called . How do i fix this.

Asked by Feb 07, 2014 at 05:47 PM about the 1990 Lexus ES 250

I have a picture here ..showing where the leak is coming from. I noticed the gas smell
while driving. The car was off...no key in ignition an that place the green arro wis
pointing was leaking alot of gas. I dont know much about cars but i removed the gas  
cover ...where we put gas in....and its as if it released pressure because it stopped
leaking... i could use some help...

20,525

Yes, the fuel system is under pressure- so taking the gas cap off will slow down a gas leak- modern gasoline has Benzine in it and it is highly carcinogenic- it will penetrate your skin and go straight into your bone marrow- oh, and there is always the danger of a big fire- I hate working on fuel systems- have a mechanic do it- have it towed to the garage- do not take any chances- life is more valuable than money

83,395

That looks like the fuel pressure regulator and yes they can go bad, unless you are very mechanically inclined leave it to a professional to replace it and clean up the leaked fuel so it won't go up in a ball of flames.

104,365

That appears to be your fuel pressure regulator. Need to have it replaced before driving any more. Caution extreme fire hazard.

104,365

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/fuel-pressure- regulator/Lexus/ES250/1AEEF00005/492822? utm_campaign=gb_csv_nobr&utm_content=EEF&gclid=CLnpk_qUu7wC FZPm7AodDWIAWQ

Thanks for your help jamnblues. Do you know if there is supposed to be sometype of screw in that hole ?

Thank you all i appreciate it