I have a 1993 lexus es300 and my serpentine belt broke. After replacing it I noticed smoke coming from the car. The alternator is spinning but are the bottom pulleys suppose to spin freely?

Asked by Jul 03, 2015 at 08:47 PM about the 1993 Lexus ES 300

if the bottom two pulleys aren't spinning by hand what do I do? and if they are not suppose to spin freely why is the belt smoking?

21,295

A serpent in a labyrinth- now you see why mechanics make so much money-

62,905

Yes, the other pulleys are supposed to spin relatively easy with exception of the crankshaft pulley. That's the large pulley on the bottom center of the engine. Now you know why the old belt broke. Whatever is not spinning is locked up. HTH. -Jim