1996 Lexus LS400 battery drain problem

155

Asked by Jul 23, 2013 at 02:30 PM about the 1996 Lexus LS 400

I have put 3 new batteries in this car in the last 2 years. It was not driven much so I
figured it was just because of not getting charged often enough. However after the last
new battery it does get driven plenty at least once or twice a week sometimes more.
We did not buy this car used we bought it in new in Tennessee. It has never had a
problem until this battery issue ,maybe 2 years ago. Some times it can sit for 4 weeks
and it will start-up just fine. other times the battery will be dead after maybe 3 or 4
days. Then it may go months again with no problems. Does anyone have a idea or
know about what needs replaced to fix this issue?

Thank you very much
Allen Rice ,, North Carolina

155

You and I think a like i took them all out of the car long time ago and it still does it? Thanks very much, your idea is a good one and would do just as you say , I agree,,,,,but it didn't change anything.

155

Thanks moodylu I have done everything you suggested and I do agree with everything you said. Since my question above I have installed another new 3 year best battery O Riley's has. Two mechanics have verified this is a good battery for this car. It has been in the car now about 2 weeks it fires up no problem , I still have not found what is sticking and draining the battries down. I have not as you suggested changed the battries cables yet but I will just as soon as I get a chanch. Thanks so much for your help I will update if it fixes it or not.

10

Hi Allen, did you end up getting to the bottom of your issue? I'm having the same promlem

155

Well honestly I don't really know but its has not drained the battery in maybe 8 months or so? I turned off everything i could think of, cigarette lighter leave it out wiggled wires ect. It has not done it in a long long time I drive it a least every 3 weeks or so like I didi before. I don't really know what the problem is, if it shows up again I will post it other than that I guess its either a wire/switch problem or you have to get just the right battery? thanks 1bebe

85

My 2008 LS 460 has the same issue. I have verified the Durecell is correct. For now I have the new one in the tray, but the positive cable is not connected. If someone finds the answer please share. It can't be for sitting. My 1967 Chev SS sits longer and starts. It's issue is fuel so I add Stay to the fuel and that problem is now fixed.