White smoke, no acceleration, sputtering!!!!

Asked by Jul 11, 2012 at 03:52 PM about the 1997 Lexus LS 400

I have a 1997 Lexus LS400 and it is currently in the shop for repairs, but it has been there for 2 WEEKS!  

First they said it was the EGR valve pipe, which was broken and they repaired.  When I picked up the car, it ran exactly the same.  The car shakes and blows out white smoke that smells like gasoline.  I replaced the plug wires and the spark plugs and it ran better for a while.  But it still does the same thing and I feel as though the current mechanic is giving me the run around.  He called me and told me that he "thinks" the computer is bad and needs to be replaced and it was gonna cost around $1000.  I'm not convinced its the computer.

Any thoughts?

405

too much fuel blows black smoke - brake fluid and auto trans fluid burns white - water makes steam - burning oil makes blue smoke you nead to work out witch one of you fluids are droping in level

13,985

What did the plugs you took out look like? If the EGR return pipe was bad chances are the EGR was also bad or at least gummed up. Also check if they got all the plug wires back on correctly. If two are mixed it will cause sputtering.

21,905

White smoke is usually coolant, it is rare (but possible) you are burning brake fluid or trans fluid. Thinking head gasket or intake gasket. The smoke should smell kinda sweet of you are useing antifreeze and not just water. It may smell like fuel becasue coolant wont burn and hindering combustion so excess fuel is leaving the tail pipe. Check your coolant level, also check to see if your engine oil is milky colored.

Replace oxygen sensor or clean it it's dirty and clogged computer can't read it tell your mechanic to go benver for annother sucker.....I got 3 lexus I buy and sell I learned the hard way my first one I practically installed everything new felt like me an idiot had no idea a tiny thing like that hard so much freaking intluece over the fucken brains .other the car go figure dulh asses at Toyota .fucken rata's.i buy Lexus for u people who don't want to miss with them joe 8314286007 or mendoza1912@live.com

Let me know if it helped any one out there also check and clean intake make sure to nice and tight.air Flow controls injectors tells computer how much gas u need oxgen sensor if clogged it can't breath. The word says it all oxygen. Sensor......cars choking ....thank u hope it helps if not I'll buy it

Location under passenger side can't miss it .get ready to get dirty