No overdrive n tempature barely moves off cool

Asked by May 15, 2016 at 02:51 AM about the 1999 Lexus ES 300

The car won't go into overdrive at all n the
tempature guage always shows cool, n barely
atmoves from the cold position, I am at my wits
end,,,PLEASE HELP, any info that u can give me to
help me fix this dang thing would be greatly
appreciated....

237,305

Cooling issue might be a stuck open thermostat, won't going into overdrive could mean a solenoid issue or the transmission needs an overhaul. Best have the pro's diagnose the transmission issue.

45

Arthur, Just went thru the same issue. Standing on passenger side of car, there's 2 sensor's on that side of motor, one is for the gauge, the other tells the computer the temp of the car. The smaller one is the one that does the gauge, you can disconnect that one to help remove the other. That sensor tell's the tranny when to shift also. I'm in the process of changing my thermostat today because I have other issue, that's a bit harder to do, and small hand's make it easier. Make sure you buy OEM parts. The aftermarket people are killing us Lexus owners. Unhook the wire to the smaller sensor, and make sure it's the one that goes to the gauge. Then unhook the other and pull it out. Have the new one ready to go into the hole, and do it quick and you won't have to drain the radiator because anti-freeze comes out the hole. Good Luck, let me know if this helps...Pat