Trac off & check engine both lights on and why? On a 2000 Lexus ES300 Platinum series

Asked by May 31, 2014 at 12:02 PM about the 2000 Lexus ES 300

The check engine light and trac off light both come on after I remove the code by
disconnecting the battery for like 5 hours. Took the car for a drive with no light on the
dash all looking good. Then 3 hours later I park n turn car off for like 30 min then , I turn
back on and again take of to drive and in like 3 min or less. Back to square  1 again,
check engine and track off lights come back on.

Lights are at the very least meant to be checked out as to what caused them to light up in the first. Please ask a friend to read your Owner's Manual to you and/or find a good shop. (get estimates and quotes)

I am NOT a mechanic but have learned a little with my '99 Lexus ES 300. Your same issue was happening to me for awhile. Eventually my car would feel a hesitation (almost like it temp. lost power then kicked back in) and after 1 year, 5 different mechanics (and a lot of money) I found a mechanic who actually knew what he was doing. Based on the codes that came up the 5 diff. mechanics were trying to fix the specific codes, it was not the problem! (they were trying to fix the symptoms NOT the actual problem) The problem was the VVT (variable valve timing), due to that it sent several different codes of things malfunctioning, which leads to a big bill. NO OFFENSE to anyone but as a female going into an auto shop there is usually a neon sign on my head thats says "I'm a girl and therefore stupid about cars". Self admittedly for the most part thats true...but I do my homework, ask questions and research BEFORE doing any work on my car. In defense to "those" in cars has changed a lot and not all local mechanics have updated their current knowledge on the newer, more computerized cars. ( I would rather them be straight forward & tell me then milk every dime but...) Doesn't mean they are bad mechanics but their knowledge is more "old school". With all of that being said RESEARCH! I know understand why cars are labled as girls...Lexus' tend to be tempermental at times, there are some parts that need to be specific brands or "she" will act-out, LOL! While other parts can be generic. I hope this can potentially help. Also, to save money, some mechanics have NO issues with you buying the part elsewhere and installing it with just labor fees (for me it has always been cheaper!)

The one thing you may want to check before spending a lot of money is your gas cap. If it has become worn it could be letting air through. This is usually evident by the check engine light, VSC light and traction control lights all coming on without warning. If that doesn't fix the problem there may be a vacuum leak elsewhere. Mine just happened to be in the neck of the fuel tank. I'm not sure what the technical term for it is but it's the part the cap screws onto. After trying the gas cap fix, my mechanic did a second smoke test and found the leak. It will be around $500 buck to fix and is not covered by my extended warranty.

Just some additional info: I have a 2008 Lexus RX350 with 56k miles.

We just had this same problem pop up tonight. Check Engine flashes and Trac Off steady on. More confusing, the car will not go into Overdrive anymore either. The switch works and dash lights respond as before, it's just that the trans does not shift. 2000 Lexus ES 300 with only 60,000 miles (was my mom's car). Glad to read tips above about diagnostics not necessarity pointing to the correct issue. Good to have that knowledge before going to AutoZone.

i have the same problem, car was running fine last night. when i started it this morning it gave me check engine sign and track off sign. i took off the 15amp fuse both lights cleared. after about 30 mins, check engine light flashing and track off light came on again.

Could be a battery issue. Trac On and Check Engine light on dashboard for two months since I purchased the vehicle used. Overall brilliance of lighting system was dull. Car battery died. Had AAA replace battery. Trac On and Check Engine lights are now off. Perhaps the two indicators are Lexus way of showing electrical/battery issues.Who knows?

The problem my dealer found was faulty bank 2vvt valve.changing That resolved the problem it cost me $285 I could save lot of money if bought on line this Bank 1 & bank 2 on line (less than $100 for both)

Had and oil change at Jiffy Lube yesterday. on my 2013 RX350. When they finished, the battery was dead. I'm guessing they left the ignition (and therefore a/c) on while doing their thing and ran it dead, but they of course deny it. They junped the car, and I had the Trac off, check awd system, and engine light on for the drive home. VERY upsetting! when I got home, I turned the engine off, then started it again to make sure the battery had re-charged. Lo, all lights were off. Haven't used the car since, but my guess is that the lights are indeed a battery issue, as suggested by ramtrane.

I'm the second owner of a 2000 Lexus ES 300. The mileage was 67,000 when I purchased it. It did not have a gas cap and the engine light came on along with the track off light. I purchased a gas cap from Auto Zone and disconnected the battery. The lights went off, however came back on two weeks later. Now I have to take it and have the codes pulled to see what comes back. I'll give an update once the problem has been diagnosed and the lights are off for at least a month.