Can I use BioDiesel fuel in the 2.1 L 4 Cyl BlueTec Turbo Diesel without affecting our warranty?

Asked by Nov 04, 2015 at 09:56 AM about the 2016 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter

2016 RV on the Mercedes Sprinter with BlueTec.  Want to use BioDiesel.  Not
sure if it will affect the warranty.

Call Mercedes and ask them. . We've been looking at various class B coaches on the Sprinter, including the Era, Roadtrek, and Leisure Travel. Which model did you purchase? And, why did you decide to purchase new vs. late model? I thought it would cut down on the depreciation factor by looking at a five-year old model, these things are very expensive. And, does the Four cylinder really power that rig? Did you purchase new because of the warranty? Some units are covered for the first five years, now, that might be worth it, I don't know. Please let me know.

Post a picture of your rig.

It's the PW Ascent. Had to do short wheelbase for parking purposes in my city. I have no off-street parking. Bought new because I'm new to all this too and the warranty is not transferable for "used" buyers. I am a little nervous about learning all there is to know. They are very over-priced IMHO but they are also hard to come by. Driving to LA to pick it up this weekend but the dealer sent me pics, one of which I posted. As for the 4-cylinders, your guess is as good as mine but I believe the Mercedes product line is a good one and they back their rap, so to speak. Thanks for the quick response.

True bio-diesel should run like pump diesel without any modifications. Running vegetable oil requires a lot of modifications though.

Thanks, I've seen the brochure on the Pleasure Way. We have a teardrop trailer, it's pretty much only a fair weather thing and have been out about 12 times in two years. The idea of the small class B is intriguing since you're self contained. Did you look at a variety of rigs? Most of the units out there are either the Five or Six cylinder Mercedes Benz diesel engine. . Yes, I would stick with the straight disel fuel especially since it's under warranty. What is the warranty period on your vehicle? What dealer did you purchase your rig from?

Giant RV in Montclair, CA and they have been so wonderful, especially by comparison . We live in San Francisco and there are NO RV dealers here. We negotiated for one in Sacramento and had a deal in place but no deposit. They didn't ask for one and I was stupid enough not to force it. Guess what? They sold it before we got there (2 hour drive, one-way). All they had to do was call or text (as they had been doing for 5 days) and we wouldn't have driven up there with cash in hand. Dispicable people. Sorry for the rant but by comparison this dealer in Montclair is the best. We looked at a lot of different rigs over the last 6 months. We are limited to 20 feet or less so we can park it on the street, legally. It came down to the RT Agile or the PW Ascent (Funny how they are both "A" names) and we liked the floor plan on the Ascent much better (kitchen on the campsite side and a window in the bathroom). I also think the craftsmanship is superior on the PW. BTW... I got an answer on the BioDiesel from both PleasureWay and Mercedes. "No." Will void the warranty.

Thanks, not at all surprised about the warranty question. My question is how can a small Four even a disel keep up with the weight of the rig. I see that it has a 7 vs. 5 speed automatic, that is part of it, and the Four does have 265 foot pounds of torque, but only in the range of 1,400 to 2,400 rpms. After that, I imagine that the power range drops off? The mpg on this is 22, but, I hope going to be fine in the mountains? I don't know. I would rather have the 3.0 V6 disel, but, that's just me.

You're going to like reading this, i-4

Best Answer

Be sure and see the video as well. The new Mercedes Benz iFour did a remarkable job. Unless you plan on towing a car behind you, it's a great choice.

I don't know of any diesel fuel sold in the US that does not contain a percentage of bio-fuel. The difference is "how much". Modern diesels will run on just about anything that you can normally pump at the local gas station or truck stop. The 'feds' allow up to 20% bio fuel in the diesel. Many stations buy that mixture because it keeps their cost down. Several Tier 1 companys have a different mixture. For example: Shell branded diesel has 5% bio mixture. The difference will be mileage, performance and cleaner engine. Ever see a semi truck spouting black smoke - that is what a 20% bio mixture will do if you don' take care of your engine. Only buy from high volume stations and use a good algae fighter ( such as Diesel Kleen) and you should be just fine.

Hey Mark! Thanks for that link and the article. It was great and made me feel better about my buying decision. HeyBobk! I had no idea that all diesel fuel contains a % of BioDiesel. Very good to know. Thanks.