Gas cut off

Asked by Mar 05, 2016 at 02:07 PM about the 1979 Chevrolet C10

I have a 79 Chevy c10 pick up truck with a 88
Chevy c1500 pick up truck engine, I changed the
fuel pump and check the filters but it still cuts off
when I hit the gas pedal. Like if I'm doing 30 I'm
good but once I hit like 40 or more it cuts off a bit
but then keeps going. What more can I do ?

78,535

Check the accelerator pump, make sure you get a fuel squirt all the way down and not just a little one right at the start, next check the EGR valve, make sure it isn't going full open when vacuum is applied.

Everything is good, I checked it and it's just the pump, Can I put the pump closer to the engine so it pumps faster , or will that be the same ? Or how can I know which Manual pump to get ? Because the one I have is an electric and it stays cutting off the gas

78,535

Odd electrics usually don't do that, how far away is the pump from the fuel tank? I needs to be as close as possible to the fuel tank. Is it a regulated fuel pump or a continuous flow pump? If it is a regulated pump how many lbs of pressure is it set at? If it is a continuous flow you may have to restrict the return line so it maintains a steady pressure at the carb. You can use a mechanical pump in conjunction with an electric you just have to make sure the fuel return system is operational. And here's something that had me going for a day, make sure the tank is clean, I had one that would run for a bit then run out of fuel, let it sit for a few minutes it would start pumping fuel then quit pumping found out it picking up crud off the bottom of the tank plugging up the pickup screen until it stopped running the the vacuum would drop off it would release the crud back to the bottom of the tank only to do it all over again when the pump started back up, had to pull the tank clean and treat it with tank sealer. HTH

could be sparkplug wires grounding out under load. with the engine off, look for gray traces where the wires touch the engine.