I have a 2003 es 300 lexus with 124K miles. never a problem purchased new. then oil light on, engine light on. white smoke from exhaust when starting. took to Toyota told don't drive needs new engine. tried to start it--dead-- should I replace engine? how much for lexus to repair or should I lease...I love that car, no car pymts. brother says just lease... too many unknowns--- please advise

Asked by Jan 05, 2014 at 09:31 AM about the 2003 Lexus ES 300

was driving beautifully, then oil and engine light on, white smoke coming from exhaust.  original owner, 124K miles. Toyota says don't drive, diagnostic bad motor. while driving home from dealership car stopped dead (middle of intersection). towed back to house as I don't know what to do at this point. beautiful car, never a problem. pricing new engines, older engines..should I have lexus repair??

Sounds like you might have blown a head gasket.(white smoke from exhaust). Then continuing to drive it probably finished it off. A blown head gasket can be repaired but there is no telling how much more damage you did to it with continued driving. Hate to say this but you probably looking at a total rebuild of engine or replacing it with another. Check into the prices in your area to have it repaired or replaced. Then decide if you want to invest that much money into your car. Also concider that if this is your only car you will be without till it is repaired. Can you go without a car for that long?

thank you for advise. heard 2003 lexus es300 had problem with engine sludge unfortunately for me I never had issue until now. lexus stopped repairing for free in 2007. according to Toyota they removed valve cover to inspect found oil sludge. engine oil returns at least partially clogged. maybe I should of taken next door to lexus. cant believe I drove it home. couldn't believe it was engine especially since I haven't had an issue in 10 yrs and always changed oil as manual suggested. thanks for your advice

Yes that sounds like you need to rebuild it or replace it. By the way Lexus is manufactured by Toyota if I am not badly mistaken. High end Toyota from what I understand.