Electric or Hydraulic Power Steering

26,745

Asked by Nov 03, 2015 at 12:19 AM about the 2016 Subaru Outback

What do you think about these two systems and which one do you prefer?

113,605

Hydraulic, why mess with something that works. Electrics still have this, "not of it will fail but when" stigma around them yet. In fact this whole "drive by wire" thing is just plain scary.

81,815

More reliable power steering with hydraulic.

7,580

Sure, but pumps and belts and fluid. I'm sick of it after 30+ years. I hear some of the newest electro systems have nearly identical feel to a good hydraulic rack, but in general excellent steering is more easily attainable with parasitic hydrraulics.

7,580

If the poster's question is specific to Subarus, it should be noted that outstandling handling inherent in Subies' excellent rack is dramatically compromised by poor body control and suspension compromises inherent in the taller iterations (Forester, latest OBs). With a lower CoG an Imp or Leg Sedans' steering rivals the best from BMW, Audi and Mazda...and far better than Honda, Toyota, Nissan, for example.

26,745

Trying to stop new technology is difficult, see this link http://www.autotrainingcentre.com/blog/comparing-hydraulic- electric-steering/

26,745

Both have a single point of failure, more actually with hydraulic since it can start leaking or snap a belt, but, the greatest disadvantage to hydraulic is the fuel-efficiency penalty. As this technology improves, I imagine so will the road feel.

113,605

If you want to stop new technology just stop buying it.

26,745

OK, that's an interesting perspective, but, you don't really mean that. After all, if you follow that logic, we would never have gone through the industrial and computer revolution and all the applications that have developed since. And, while you may not agree, all of this modern technology since the beginning of the automobile, cars have just gotten progressively safer and better with each passing year. I'm afraid that it is better than what some people might call the good old days... I think those days were not as good as you might remember it. Sorry.

113,605

I'll agree with the safer part but better isn't the word I would have used. All this technology just makes it harder and more expensive to fix. It's no longer a fun job being a mechanic, just look at the money you have to pay for test equipment now days not mention the special tools you need above your normal hand tools, and it keeps changing with every year make and model. Then there is the knowledge base, when I first started out all I needed were a few books, now you need to subscribe to a database just have access to the information you need and you need tech to even do that. I could go on for hours about this. So better? NO

26,745

Better is a qualitative adjective and it means different things to people, but, I think SAFER is definitely better in this case. And, yes, cars today are rolling computers. The world has changed and it will change again with self driving cars. It's coming and it will be phase 2 of the automobile. A lot of people won't like it, but when you add up all the fatalities on the road, the numbers are staggering. And, traffic congestion in major metropolitan areas are turning into a parking lot. I'm sorry, the backyard mechanic you're referring to has been virtually dead for years and if you don't have or invest in the right tools and equipment, you're lost, I get that. The good news is that cars today are generally speaking better and have less problems in between service intervals. And, since cars are now made by robots, they're more exacting to precise specs. Finally, the advances in fuel-efficiency on non- hybrid cars has really come a long way. No matter what you spend on an old 60s muscle car, you're going to get 30-40 or better miles per gallon.

26,745

Correction, "you're NOT going to get 30-40 miles per gallon on that 60s muscle car.

113,605

If your phase 2 does happen I will not buy one, I buy a car to drive not for it too tell me how or where to drive, that tech is one that should die, it is too vulnerable too outside interference, maybe in 50 years it will be viable in the slow speed city's but not yet. As far as getting better mileage for muscle cars of the 60's and early 70's that will be fixed with the coming of hydrogen cell tech getting retroed into older cars, and that I am looking forward too.

I just drove a new Subaru with electric steering and it was terrible, made my wrist hurt after ten minutes from constantly battling it to go straight.

26,745

Electric power steering saves gasoline...and doesn't leak. Maybe you don't like the "feel" of electric ....it's a very subjective thing... they both provide power.... just in a different way... Technology.... impossible to stop this...... what do you think Tesla cars use?? Think about it.... Overall, electric motors will probably last longer and be less costly to maintain.

103,835

Steering feel is really not subjective unless you are not a driver but merely a car operator who cares for nothing but getting from point A to point B. This is not a case of "progress" so much as a different technology that does the exact same thing as the old technology. An unboosted rack in a sports car is better than both.

103,835

I would not bring up Tesla as a standard unless you like cars that deliberately drive you into lane dividers and then explode.

26,745

F_O_R...hmm... I find your comments about the Tesla and newer cars in general "interesting".....in case you didn't know....New cars and late model ones are considered SAFER than old classics like your Jaguar...are the old cars cool??? YES.... but, I would never want it to be a daily driver...And, as far as "old technology" is concerned... you could have just stayed with the non power steering of your sports car... the example of Tesla and the annomoly of one particular incident is not a regular thing.. even though you're trying to charactize them all like that.... RIDICULOUS..... sweeping generalization.. I know you're VERY SORRY you ever purchased the Subaru Forester.... and I've driven a friend's car...a 2009 that drives like a truck.. hey, my Sprinter drives more smoothly than their car.... Listen, the Mercedes is a truck and feels better than the Subaru Forester.... how's that for some trick.........I get it...you don't like your car....I wouldn't like it either...

26,745

F.OR.; my Sprinter drives smoother with a more comfortable ride than my Subaru Outback... thanks in part to the 170 inch wheelbase.... Steering is extremely precise... and responsive... great feedback .... it's all in the design...

103,835

Facts are inconvenient eh Mark? I guess you did not see the recent news story about the Tesla that crashed and burned and the second one that was going to do the exact same thing at the exact spot except the driver anticipated the problem and took over to save his life. Since you apparently have no reading comprehension at all it is hard to communicate with you. Stating a fact is not "sweeping generalizations".

26,745

Sure, go ahead and spin this anyway you like....the driver should have been more present....you can't totally blame Tesla for this ..,.why don't you lay down all the details...this article and statement from Tesla points ....why not review, the article points out that the driver's hands were not detected on the wheel, https://www.tesla.com/blog/update-last-week’s-accident

26,745

Self driving cars are coming... there's no dispute about that, and they will save lives... BUT, that doesn't mean you can just go to sleep and not pay any attention whatsoever.....as this technology gets mature, it will evolve. Again, my assessment of your comments is that it's a sweeping generalization of all self driving cars not just Tesla.....You missed the fact that Tesla and others say that you cannot just abandon the controls to the car.... that's been written in many articles....

26,745

Finally, self driving cars which are computer controlled like the Google cars have logged millions of miles....they don't make stupid mistakes or race other cars and behave like clowns behind the wheel, tailgating and weaving in an out of traffic...they don't speed and cut off others...they will ultimately be the safest vehicles out there... what will happen is.... people won't like giving up control... when they're fully implemented, you're going to have to pay very dearly to drive a regular car as we know them today.... Computers make more sane decisions than people and more consistent...... again, people who love to speed and take chances behind the wheel will be infuriated by all this...it's coming.... matter of time.... I don't expect to see this fully implemented in my lifetime....it's probably 20- 30 years away.....

103,835

Yup. Tesla says to keep your hands on the wheel and pay attention. Self driving? LOL!

103,835

The fantasies of self driving cars are not reality Mark. You project the hype and think it is reality.

113,605

Yep totally automated driving is still a long ways off, you can't replace the driver just yet, I hope I'm dead and buried by then.